Check back often to learn about the celebrations of our LBB members.
Name: Susan Houseman
Business: Susan Houseman Designs
Please list 3 of your favorite likes
1. I love time with my family, especially time with my children and husband. We don’t have to be doing anything in particular, just being together.
2. I absolute love the creative process! I believe that is where our genius lives. It comes out to help solve problems, fix mistakes, make new pathways, while nurturing what you already know.
3. I love the smell of fresh made chocolate chip cookies, bread, and my mother’s rice.
Please list 3 of your least favorite things
1. Applications, or forms that have tiny writing spaces.
2. Ball point pens, most of them don’t write smoothly.
3. Instant ice tea
Where did you go to school (high school or college) Oneida High School, Oneida Tennessee / Oklahoma City University, OKC OK
What is your favorite movie? This is hard, I have so many: The Fifth Element /Notting Hill/ My Best Friends Wedding / The Proposal/ Gone With The Wind
What is your favorite sports team? THE BLUES
What do you enjoy most in life? Laughter, it’s brightens up the darkest moments. Making things and art that touches people hearts.
What is your catchphrase? Just keep putting one foot in front of the other!
What is your biggest accomplishment? My biggest accomplishment is I raised 3 children and I’ve raised my side hustle into a full fledged business. Plus I have been married for 32 years.
Tell us anything else you would like us to know.
I believe that consistency, perseverance, an unabashed commitment and belief in my calligraphy business has lead me to where I am today. I started my journey over 30 years ago, before my children. I educated myself and then made time to study with master calligraphers and pen women from around the world.
My passion has helped me navigate and negotiate around life's ups and downs while raising a family. With the constant support from my husband, and family members I have continued to evolve.
Sometimes I find it hard to believe all the things that I have accomplished over the years. From designing a stamp line, being published in several magazines, participating in numerous gallery shows, and creating backdrops for the band competitions, and so much more. I am always up for the challenge, and the learning process.
So, it’s important for me that you know that I am a professional calligraphic/engraving artist. I’m not just the girl next door that learned calligraphy. It has takes years of practicing, learning, teaching, showing up to do the work and facing the blank page.